I mentioned in a previous post that I don’t always eat all my vegetables. But when I heard about these vegetable spiralizers that turn veggies into noodles, well, I knew things were going to change. I hadn’t so much as attempted to track one down in the store before one arrived at my door, a surprise birthday gift from my best friend.
So I began playing around with it, figuring out how to make the perfect zucchini noodles (or zoodles as I like to call them), until I arrived at this tasty flavor fiesta.
We’ll start with the sauce. I wanted something creamy without, well, the cream. So I played around until I came to the perfect avocado pesto sauce: part creamy, part tasty, mostly healthy. I threw avocado, garlic, basil, and lemon into the food processor and blended it up to as smooth as possible. I then added 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. The avocado I used wasn’t as ripe as it should have been, so the sauce still wasn’t quite saucey enough. If this is the case for you, add 1 Tbsp of water at a time until you’ve reached a fluid but thick consistency. Finish with a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 avocado, ripe
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Water as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 zucchini, spiralized or cut into ¼ inch wide strips
- In a food processor, blend avocado, garlic, basil leaves and lemon juice until smooth, then mix in extra virgin olive oil.
- Add water, 1 Tbsp at a time, until sauce reaches a fluid yet thick consistency.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute zoodles on stove over medium/high heat until slightly soft and bright green. Drain excess water.
You can find complete recipes of this ZUCCHINI PASTA WITH CREAMY AVOCADO PESTO in liveeatlearn.com